Re: Great Lakes Power Plants

Gordon:

I cannot help you with developing a comprehensive list of steam electric
power plants utilizing Great Lakes' water for cooling, but I do have a
comment regarding the research methodology described in your recent posting.

In the past 3-4 years, we (Materials Productivity) have worked with
utilities on various pollution prevention efforts.  Some of the activities
have focused directly on condenser performance and biocide usage.  Biocides
in general are used to control microfouling (e.g., bacterial slime) and
macrofouling (e.g., mussels and clams) that occur in water boxes and
condenser tubes.  To my knowledge, sodium hypochlorite is used primarily to
control microfouling.

A facility we worked with recently experiences substantial blue mussel
fouling.  Over the years, they have found that these critters are pretty
tough and are fairly "immune" to typical, routine chemical treatment, such
as sodium hypochlorite or bromo-chloro-hydantoin.  It seems that they sense
the chemical and close up long enough to not be affected by the treatment
-- which is usually limited by a NPDES permit to 2 hrs per unit per day.
The facility has had to use targeted static treatments to prevent the
mussels from plugging up their intake water system.  So, if the
relationship between sodium hypochlorite and zebra mussels is critical to
your research, you may want to be sure that the power plants are using
sodium hypochlorite for that purpose.

Also, chemical treatment is usually done only in the warmer months when
mussels, etc. grow rapidly.  You should factor this into your calculations,
if you haven't already.

>I'm trying to do an engineering study to determine the total quantities of
>sodium hypochlorite (bleach) that is being used at Great Lakes steam
>electric plants to kill zebra mussels in their service water systems.  I
>know that the quantities per plant are quite large and with all the steam
>electric plants on the Great Lakes, the total quantity has to be huge.  To
>do this, I need to get a list giving every steam electric power plant
>(fossil and nuclear) located on each of the Great Lakes or at least get a
>total number.  The more info I can get in a data list, the better.  A larger
>power plant uses more cooling water and hence more bleach so the size of the
>plant is significant.  However, given the name of the plant, I can get the
>plant size from the DOE Web Page for US Electric Plants and probably access
>something similar for the Canadian plants.
>
>Can you please help me develop this list of steam electric power plants
>located on the Great Lakes?  Other types of industrial facilities, which use
>the GLs water for cooling, also probably use bleach to kill zebra mussels.
>If you have info on all the industrial facilities, please let me know that
>as well.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gordon Hart
>PCG, Manager, R&D
>913-441-0100
>gordon.hart@pcg.com

John Jaimez
Materials Productivity LLC
1821 University Ave. W., #S-286
Saint Paul, MN  55104
Ph. 651/603-8282    Fax 651/603-8286

 "Every great movement must experience three stages:
    ridicule, discussion, adoption." - John Stuart Mill