Re: Measuring pollution prevention performance: metrics

Jenna:

The most useful metrics I have seen from the industrial sector tie P2/waste
reduction directly back to a product and a product's cost center ("waste
reduction per unit produced), because then you can show a direct correlation
between specific P2 actions taken on a product and specific savings or
increased revenue related to the product. That makes P2 very easy to track
and to sell. I am sure you will receive a number of responses from folks
familiar with industrial operations, so I will defer to them.

I am more familiar with measuring P2 in the government sector (federal
facilities), or in the mostly fixed cost arena (such as support organizations
not tied to a product line) where there is no product and no central cost
center, let alone profit or revenue. Often costs related to an operation are
split between programs (one organization does the work, another cleans up
afterward), so the cleanup organization actually fights efforts to reduce
waste because it impacts their budgets. In these cases one of the best ways
is to set a baseline and compare waste reduction with the baseline. Of course
changes in mission, products, raw materials, etc. all make this a moving
target at best.

If you would like more info about performance measures in these areas let me
know and I can put you in touch with some excellent sources.

Best of luck,

Mark Boylan
General Manager
WASTREN, Inc.