Re: Measuring pollution prevention performance: metrics

Jenna,

The northeast states have been wrestling with this issue for a while - the NorthEast Waste Managment Officials' Association (NEWMOA) is one place to check.  Their website is www.newmoa.org ; click on "pollution prevention" then "hot topics" to view the info on metrics.

David Westcott
Office of Pollution Prevention
Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street - 4th Floor
Hartford, CT 06106-5127
PHONE:(860)424-3666         FAX:(860)424-4081
EMAIL: david.westcott@po.state.ct.us

>>> "Jenna Latt" <LATTJ@state.mi.us> 03/15 11:35 AM >>>
I was wondering whether anyone have information on corporate or state programs that are measuring pollution prevention progress or performance. Usually this is referred to as environmental performance indicators or metrics and goes beyond the traditional SARA TRI data reporting, "pounds released" or emissions reporting. For example, measurements used can be "amount of constituent reduced per amount of product produced," or some other similar metrics. I am particularly interested in what state programs are doing in this area.

Are there any websites or reports (specifically report names) I can be referred to? I have already checked www.epa.gov and the EPA P2 site but I may have missed a particular report.

Thanks,

Jenna Latt
Pollution Prevention Section