Re: Measuring pollution prevention performance: metrics

Jenna:

The biggest problem with the metric proposed here is  the "per unit
produced."  This works great if there is just one product but is more
difficult if there are many products.  This makes comparisons between
unlike companies at the state level very scary.   I would propose that you
use the Baldrige Model for Environmental Excellence that scores an
organization on a 1000 point scale against a "best in class" organization.
The number is unitless and does not need to be normalized for production.
You can compare all sorts of companies (even consulting firms and other
service providers) "apples to apples" using this method.  There will be a
publication in the coming issue of ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT (a John
Wiley & Sons journal) on the use of this model.  I will send you a
preprinted copy.  This model is based on the highly successful Green Zia
Program in New Mexico.  You sould also contact Pat Gallagher for more
information.  I will be presenting a paper on giving a "score" to state P2
technical assistance programs based on this model at the NPPR meeting
(Wednesday at 10:00 am).  Hope you will find this a bit more practical.  It
serves the plant level with a well-proven model (the National Macolm
Baldrige Quality Award).  It serves the state or other jurisdiction level
just like the standardized tests that children take in grades K through 12
are used to grade the schools and the towns that they live in.  Name any
other metric that can do both of these.

BOB Pojasek

At 12:20 PM 3/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Jenna:
>
>The most useful metrics I have seen from the industrial sector tie P2/waste
>reduction directly back to a product and a product's cost center ("waste
>reduction per unit produced), because then you can show a direct correlation
>between specific P2 actions taken on a product and specific savings or
>increased revenue related to the product. That makes P2 very easy to track
>and to sell. I am sure you will receive a number of responses from folks
>familiar with industrial operations, so I will defer to them.
>
>I am more familiar with measuring P2 in the government sector (federal
>facilities), or in the mostly fixed cost arena (such as support
organizations
>not tied to a product line) where there is no product and no central cost
>center, let alone profit or revenue. Often costs related to an operation are
>split between programs (one organization does the work, another cleans up
>afterward), so the cleanup organization actually fights efforts to reduce
>waste because it impacts their budgets. In these cases one of the best ways
>is to set a baseline and compare waste reduction with the baseline. Of
course
>changes in mission, products, raw materials, etc. all make this a moving
>target at best.
>
>If you would like more info about performance measures in these areas let me
>know and I can put you in touch with some excellent sources.
>
>Best of luck,
>
>Mark Boylan
>General Manager
>WASTREN, Inc.