Re: Shipyard Sandplasting/Manual Paint Chipping

Richard,

One facility in the Virginia Beach area has put down plastic below it
sandblasting area and is cleaning up the material afterward.  The facility
operates a marine railway and this is the cheapest way they have found to
prevent stormwater contamination .  Few facilities do this however.  Most
marine railways have a dirt/rock surface.  Paving would not work since
asphalt would likely crack under the weight of cranes, ships, and other
vehicles.  Concrete is a solution but is expensive since it requires
excavation (and the soil is likely to be contaminated) and may also
destabilize any structures on the property.

Based on my work in VA, there seems to be little motivation to do a really
good job of preventing sandblasting waste from stormwater contamination --
there typically is a lot of "legacy" contaminants in the soil and operators
do not see the need to prevent further contamnation.  Changing these
behaviors is not simple.

Please copy me on any other responses you recieve to your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Tim

At 11:00 AM 3/15/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Would appreciate any BMPs/ideas on eliminating/reducing sandblast residue or
>paint chips from entering water. Not feasible to dry-dock vessel. Also if
>anyone has a good web or email address for the US Navy that might have some
>info on this subject.
>
>Thanks
>Dick Burns
>FDEP