RE: Food Waste - ideas for avoidance and reuse

Greg,

Interesting stuff.  We once did a P2OA for a major aerospace company and
people thought it was strange that we included cafeteria waste.  We included
it because the facility hired a waste hauler to clean out all sumps on a
routine schedule. This meant that kitchen grease was being mixed in with all
the other industrial sludges.  While this practice made it less expensive to
collect and haul all oily sump waste from the site, it drove the disposal
cost sky high because of the hazardous waste surcharge for solids.

Some practices we considered for reducing cafeteria waste included the
promotion of fat-free days (less frying) and the installation of a grease
filtration system to promote reuse. While we didn't think of it at the time,
maybe someone should come up with a simple system to convert the kitchen
grease into soap. The use of teflon lined mixing pots and pans to ease
cleaning is often mentioned but I'm not sure how much study has been done.
This option has often been mentioned as a way to reduce waste associated
with paint production (mixing).

Have you contacted any food producers to find out what causes bad batches?
Such questions could lead to identifying a wide range of P2 projects. I
could see the need for improved temperature and humidity monitoring in
baking operations, sterile packaging to promote shelf life, sanitary piping
design to prevent raw material spoilage, clean-in-place systems to minimize
cleaning waste, and so on. I'm sure there is plenty more. Good luck.

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com