RE: innovative building technologies and funding

Catherine,

Your post asked about carrots (financial incentive programs)for green
building ... and I dont' know any good examples for you there. But your post
reminded me of an interesting "stick" to encourage greener buildings --
Dallas-fort Worth's draft Clean Air Act State Implementation Plan commits
the area to adopting energy efficiency standards as part of the building
code. This is part of the area's effort to get into attainment with ozone
standards. I suspect that we'll be seeing more of these kind of efforts
because states/cities are getting diminishing returns from squeezing the
normal ozone reduction targets (industry, automobile inspections).

When you're thinking about green building technologies, don't forget to
think about the location of the building as a big part of its environmental
impact. Simplistic examples: office building on greenfield site -->
commuter-associated emissions; office building built near a transit hub -->
more potential for commuters to walk to work/carpool/use mass transit.

Ken Zarker at TNRCC is the contact in texas, their website is
http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/oprd/991216.html

regards,

Melissa Malkin Weber
Research Triangle Institute
Pollution Prevention Program
POB 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 USA
ph: (919) 541 6154 fx: (919) 541 7155
http://cage.rti.org