Re: Measuring pollution prevention performance: metrics

Over a year ago I asked a similar question re comparative metrics, and the
result was similar to what I am reading on P2Tech so far:  There are metrics
for process-level P2 performance, and some tools for compaing between
comanies in the same industry, but not for comparing across industries.
After a lot of interesting discussion, I proposed that a "de minimis"
approach to metrics be taken;  What is the simplest set of indicators we
could use that would tell us if one organization is doing better on P2
progress than another?  This would at least help us focus TA and also
identify firms that can be benchmarks for the laggards in their groups.

The criteria I came up with - and no one on P2TECH seemed to disagree - were
as follows:

1.  Firm has some kind of organized EMS that the middle managers and
employees can describe, ie. they are organized about their efforts to
improve;
2.  They practice toxics reduction as a formal priority; ie. they really
understand that prevention is better than cure
3.  They understand and track the true full costs of environmental
management and waste; ie. they are capable of making informed investments in
P2
4.  They participate in the P2 network of TA, training etc; ie. they know
enough to look around for best practices and free help.

In my opinion, those 4 simple metrics can be used to quickly compare
progress of firms.  Many firms in states with mandatory P2 planning will do
ok on most of these criteria, perhaps with exception of 3. Costs - many
firms still don't understand how much money they lose to waste, and that is
probably because P2 planning laws generally don't require such analysis
beyond "describe your environmenatl accounting methods".

If your objective is to target TA, to rank facilities on a relative scale of
P2 competence or potential for sustainability, or to figure out which of the
criteria need the most program support, the four simple metrics would work
fine.  If your objective is to determine whether P2 has made one facility
pollute less than another, that's very hard.  If you want to prove to
legislatures that the P2 program is really reducing total pollution
generated, then the best you can do is normalized waste generation in the
target groups.  So the question back atcha is,  what do you want metrics
FOR?  What is the minimum amount and type of data needed to choose between
alternatives in support of your goals?  Unless you are doing basic research,
the only reason to do an evaluation of P2 progress is to decide between
alternative future courses of action.  If metrics don't enable you to make a
decision about what to do, then they are the wrong metrics.
Burton Hamner
Hamner & Associates LLC/ CleanerProduction.Com
5534 30th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA USA 98105
tel:  206-526-5308
fax: 208-279-4991