Re: Measuring pollution prevention performance: metrics

This is a very interesting thought.  The Baldrige model measures
environmental performance in Category 7 - Results.  It measures
environmental progress by giving the organization a score against a
"best-in-class" organization.  Just like the standardized tests that are
used to rate schools in communities, you can trend your way to excellence
over the years - in this case environmental progress.  The greatness of
this measure is that ALL TYPES of organizations can be compared, "apples to
apples."  The composite scores obtained within the state can be used to
evaluate the pollution prevention program in that state since pollution
prevention is a means of obtaining environmental excellence - the quality
measured by the Baldrige model.  An organization can use an EMS, Toxics Use
Reduction, a sustainable development program, a quality program and other
means to attain environmental excellence.  I am proposing to use the
Baldrige environmental excellence model only to recognize organizations for
what they have attained and not how they attained it.  The State of New
Mexico use the Baldrige model to drive environmental excellence through
continuous environmental improvement.  The Baldrige Model will be featured
in the new EPA Facility Pollution Prevention Guide that will be released
later this year.  It is one of many models for an organization to use to
implement a P2 program.  I am sure there will be much buzz about this model
at the NPPR meeting.

BOB Pojasek