Re: Measuring pollution prevention performance: metrics

All I know is that I have seen a number of companies expend a lot of time
and effort on getting accurate numbers, and then doing little about
pollution prevention.  I have also seen companies not worry about the
numbers and do a lot of good work to reduce pollution.

An example is a refinery I worked with.  They lowered their internal
standard for replacing valves, thus replacing them earlier, rather than
letting them leak a little for a longer time.  They contoured the open
spaces and hired an agronomist to control runoff of soils which, when they
get to the treatment plant, become hazwaste.  They went from just in case
storage to as close to just in time as a refinery can operate, taking a
large number of tanks out of service, thereby reducing tank losses to
atmosphere and tank turnaround wastes.  They implemented vapor recovery
operations a lot earlier than required by regulations, because it seemed a
sensible thing to do.  They converted portions of the property into a bird
sanctuary, using what had been water storage ponds.  They implemented a
recycling program for paper, cans, bottles, etc., and created an employee
incentive program for participating in it and for suggesting other PP
improvements.

All of these things reduced pollution, improved the environment and were
implemented without a lot of financial analysis.  On a separate track, they
began putting the accounting together, with the goal of being able to
justify to corporate management what the plant management wanted to do all
along -- that is, operate an environmentally efficient refinery.  They only
needed the numbers to convince the corp people to let them do the right
thing.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D., J.D.
14139 Woodstream