Reference needed

Hello, everyone.

I am finishing up a school presentation and am trying to find some text I
know I have seen. The text talks about the U.S. environment before and during
the arrival of Europeans, and mentions things like a single flock of birds so
big it would fly overhead for five minutes, and that trees were so dense a
squirrel could travel from the Atlantic to the Mississippi without touching
the ground. I cannot give a source. Anyone ever seen this? Can you direct me
to it?

Thanks a lot.

Mark Boylan
General Manager