RE: Metal oxidation techniques

This isn't an engineering-oriented suggestion, but it just might work. Try
asking a local college art department or sculpture studio. Artists who work
in bronze know all kinds of chemistry "tricks of the trade" for achieving
various patinas or finishes on their work.
Eileen Torok
Regulated Materials Management Center
University of Wyoming