From: wjw5@psu.edu [mailto:wjw5@psu.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 2:27 PM
To: P2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: RE: Metal oxidation techniques-Reply

Since we're making referrals, here's another one: USX (formerly US Steel).
In the 1970's US Steel built a building in Pittsburgh where the external
steel parts were treated in such a way to form micro-crystals of ferric
oxide on the exterior surfaces. The crystaline structure was such that the
"rust" adhered to the steel substrate rather that flaking off. This
provided both a uniform color and a continuous protection of the steel
substrate, enabling it to "last virtually forever" (my paraphrase based on
my recollection - may be suspect given the elapsed time). It got a lot of
hype when it was built. Have heard nothing since. Have seen the building,
recently in fact - it's one of the skyscrapers downtown. It appears to be
performing as originally billed. USX could probably give you an update and,
if the process is not proprietary (as they implied 20+ years ago), may
share it with you.

Warren

>Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:51:23 -0700
>From: "Eileen D. Torok" <Eileen@uwyo.edu>
>Subject: RE: Metal oxidation techniques
>To: P2TECH <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>
>This isn't an engineering-oriented suggestion, but it just might work. Try
>asking a local college art department or sculpture studio. Artists who work
>in bronze know all kinds of chemistry "tricks of the trade" for achieving
>various patinas or finishes on their work.
>Eileen Torok
>Regulated Materials Management Center
>University of Wyoming

wjw5@psu.edu