Re: Aerosol Brake Cleaner Alternative

At 15:35 00-04-14 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>I have two automotive shop related questions.
>
>1) I am looking for an alternative to an aerosol brake parts cleaner for
>our mechanics.  Currently they are using a product manufactured by Tisco
>called CRC Brakleen, Brake Parts Cleaner.  This product contains
>tetrachloroethylene (TCE) as a main ingredient along with some other
>hazardous chemicals.  Not good for employees breathing the fumes!  The
>product is used to de-grease prior to assembling the brakes.  Are there
>any non toxic or less toxic products for brake cleaning available in
>aerosol or spray cans?  What other alternative products should I be
>looking into for brake cleaning operations?

The Institute for Research and Technical Assistance (IRTA, Santa Monica,
CA) recently completed a project to test and demonstrate water-based brake
cleaners as replacements for aerosol brake cleaners containing
perchloroethylene (PERC) and other toxic solvents.  For further info :
http://home.earthlink.net/~irta/

Denis Begin, M.Sc.
Research Assistant
University of Montreal
Dept. of Environmental and Occupational Health
PO Box 6128, Main Station
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7
Canada
Tel : 514-343-2170