Re: Aerosol Brake Cleaner Alternative

There are several options for less toxic brake cleaners as well as refillable bottles that reduce aerosol can waste and costs dramatically. See the info at www.epa.gov/region09/p2/autofleet and you can order the excellent factsheets and videos as well.

Kirk Mills
Pollution Prevention Program
Colorado Department of Public Health
     and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive So.
Denver, Co  80246-1530
Ph: (303) 692-2977
Fax: (303) 782-4969
Email: kirk.mills@state.co.us

At 15:35 00-04-14 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello all,

>I have two automotive shop related questions.
>
>1) I am looking for an alternative to an aerosol brake parts cleaner for
>our mechanics.  Currently they are using a product manufactured by Tisco
>called CRC Brakleen, Brake Parts Cleaner.  This product contains
>tetrachloroethylene (TCE) as a main ingredient along with some other
>hazardous chemicals.  Not good for employees breathing the fumes!  The
>product is used to de-grease prior to assembling the brakes.  Are there
>any non toxic or less toxic products for brake cleaning available in
>aerosol or spray cans?  What other alternative products should I be
>looking into for brake cleaning operations?

The Institute for Research and Technical Assistance (IRTA, Santa Monica,
CA) recently completed a project to test and demonstrate water-based brake
cleaners as replacements for aerosol brake cleaners containing
perchloroethylene (PERC) and other toxic solvents.  For further info :
http://home.earthlink.net/~irta/

Denis Begin, M.Sc.
Research Assistant
University of Montreal
Dept. of Environmental and Occupational Health
PO Box 6128, Main Station
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7
Canada
Tel : 514-343-2170