From: "Reindl, John" <Reindl@co.dane.wi.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:39:41 -0500
To: "'Stephanie C. Davis'" <ScD18@WasteReductionRemedies.com>
Subject: Mercury thermometer sales, discards

Hi Stephanie

By any chance, do you have any data on how many Hg thermometers are sold
annually in the US? Using the EPA data on Hg in the solid waste stream from
thermometers, I come up with a figure of 30.5 million thermometers discarded
annually (assuming half a gram of Hg per thermometer). This to me seems way,
way too high.

We are working on an ordinance to ban the sale of Hg thermometers and any
data would be useful.

Thanx,

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI

--
        Stephanie  C. Davis - BFA, MPA
    Experienced Professional of Healthcare &

        Waste Reduction Remedies sm
   A Multi-Waste Stream, Multi-Material
        Waste Management Company

   1497 Hopkins Street #2D Berkeley CA  94702-1201
   Telephone & Fax:  510/527-8864 Pacific Time
   E-mail:  ScD18@WasteReductionRemedies.com