Re: Yeast manufacture

I would think the phosphorus is from (a) the nutrient feed for the yeast, (b) the degradation of yeast cells particulary during wastewater treatment, and (c) cleaning solutions.

David Herb
Technical Assistance Engineer
Pollution Prevention Section
MDEQ - Environmental Assistance Division
2nd Floor Town Center, 333 S. Capitol
P.O. Box 30457
Lansing, MI 48909-7957

Phone: 517-241-8176
Fax: 517-373-3675
Email: herbdw@state.mi.us

Environmental Assistance Center 1-800-662-9278
Visit the MDEQ-EAD Website at: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/

>>> Cindy McComas <mccom003@tc.umn.edu> 05/09 11:05 AM >>>
I have a site visit to a yeast plant in a couple of weeks.  They seem to be
a large source of phosphorus to the wastewater treatment plant (60-70 mg/L)
in their effluent.  The wastewater treatment plant will soon have to meet
their own effluent limit of 1 mg/L P.  Does anyone know what the source
might be?

Cindy McComas, Director
MnTAP
University of Minnesota Gateway