Re: P2 RFPs for Universities?

John,
We don't have any RFPs lying about (I think once
the proposal is in the can we tend to avoid
reminders of the pain), but I can offer some
comments from a contractor's point of view.

--Specify results rather than approach
It may be that audits are not a good answer, or
only a partial answer, if what is needed is
implementation of alternatives.  A good contractor
could take a statement of objective like:
"Identify and evaluate alternatives to current
systems, materials and processes that have the
potential to achieve at least x% ROI and y%
reduction in use or waste generation" and pick
appropriate tools to get there.  (This is just an
example.)

--Describe deliverables in detail, but leave room
for negotiation
So many variables are not known until a project is
underway.  The utmost confidence in data
availability and data quality can disintegrate
into despair over blown budgets very quickly when
records can't be found and testing is too
expensive.

--Provide some criteria for making decisions about
how far to go and what can safely be ignored
Usually there are some "hot buttons": hazardous
waste; use of toxic materials; overall management
cost; the list goes on.  The RFP will be better if
the top one or two can be discussed in advance and
stated clearly.

--Preproposals are an efficient way to sort out
approaches and find holes in the RFP if it is a
big project
These can be short (less than two pages) and let
contractors show what they can do without throwing
away a lot of marketing dollars OR their best
ideas.

--Old sayings about balancing the main three
project elements
Fast + Cheap does not equal Good
Fast + Good does not equal Cheap
Good + Cheap does not equal Fast