P2 in Disaster clean-ups

To the List Serve,

As many folks know, New Mexico is experiencing a major catastrophe with the
recent wild fires in the Los Alamos area (which are still burning).  My
agency, the state environmental agency, is now developing clean-up and
control approaches to implement as soon as areas are deemed safe.
Fortunately, they want to incorporate pollution prevention in their planning
approaches, as much clean up is anticipated.  Clean up issues include
construction and burn debris from damaged or destroyed buildings, increased
erosion of contaminated soils from areas under remediation or scheduled for
remediation(low levels of mixed haz or rad contaminants) into nearby streams,
and increased general erosion rates from devegetation of steep rocky slopes.

As many folks on this list serve have experienced natural disasters, I am
looking for guidance to share with my agency to be sure to include prevention
in these clean-up plans from the beginning and hopefully reduce further harm
to the environment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pat Gallagher
New Mexico Environment Department