Re: bioremediating parts washers

Lin -

Region 9 just completed a set of fact sheets on water based parts cleaners,
including microbial sinktop units. We found that microbial cleaners are very
effective for light-duty cleaning and preventative maintenance, but may not be
as useful for very heavy duty cleaning (though cleaning performance can be
improved if the solution is used in an immersion unit, where the parts can soak
for a while). And we did find that, claims to the contrary, some of these units
do need to be maintained - the microbes can be overwhelmed by too much grease,
or killed by use of toxic solvents above the sink, etc. It is important to note
that the microbes do very little of the cleaning action - they primarily work to
reduce the oil and grease in the solution and extend solution life. On the
upside, we found that these units dramatically reduce waste generation and the
cost of parts cleaning, and there are plenty of people who are using them
successfully - from small shops to large fleet operations. In fact, the Air
Quality Management District in Southern California was so confident about the
efficacy of aqueous alternatives to solvents, they banned regular solvent sinks.
This is driving a whole new crop of units and solutions.

You can view or download our fact sheets on this topic (Aqueous Parts Cleaning
for Auto Repair, Aqueous Parts Cleaning for Fleet Maintenance, Case Studies in
Aqueous Cleaning for Auto Repair, and Case Studies of Aqueous Cleaning for Fleet
Maintenance) at our web site: www.epa.gov/region09/p2/autofleet

The web site also has the executive summaries from two comprehensive studies of
aqueous cleaners done for the City of San Francisco and the City of Los Angeles.
We are definitely recommending these units, and would encourage everyone to
download and use our materials in your outreach efforts. And being from New
Hampshire myself, I know that many shops could use the help! Call me if you have
any questions.

John Katz
P2 Coordinator
EPA Region 9