Spent water-based cleaners from the biological units used in the test shops were also found to be hazardous due to the concentration of metals.  It may take  a while to concenterate these metals from these units but, there is a high probability that the spent water-based cleaners  will be considered a hazardous waste due to metals.

If you would like a copy of the results of IRTA's study, there are number of documents available from the California Department of Toxic Substances Control's Office of Pollution Prevention and Technology Development.  It can also be viewed on DTSC's webpage (under OPPTD's publication section) at <www.dtsc.ca.gov>or on the Western Regional Pollution Prevention Network webpage at <www.westp2net.org>.

The following reports/brochures are available:
#613  Parts Cleaning in Auto Repair Facilities:  the Conversion to Water (Executive Summary 4 pages)
#614  Parts Cleaning in Auto Repair Facilities:  The Conversion to Water (80 pages)
#615  Appendices to Parts Cleaning in Auto Repair Facilities:  Data, data, data.
#616  Switching to Water-Based Cleaners in Repair and Maintenance Cleaning:  Two page brochure with info on systems, cleaners, cosets, regulatory concerns and FAQs.
#617  Water-Based Parts Washer Systems:  A Guidance Program for Users
#618  Water-Based Parts Washer Systems:  Case Study Conversions

Along these lines of automotive repair, there are three new publications from DTSC on the use of water-based cleaning units and formulations for automotive brake cleaning operations based on work done by Katy Wolf and Mike Morris of IRTA.

They are:
#619a Switching to Water-Based Cleaners for Automotive Brake Cleaning :  Two page brochure with info on systems, cleaners, costs, regulatory concerns and FAQs in English.
#619b Switching to Water-Based Cleaners for Automotive Brake Cleaning :  Two page brochure with info on systems, cleaners, coses, regulatory concerns and FAQs in Spanish
#620 Brake Cleaning in Auto Repaair Facilities:  the Conversion to Water.
#621  Seven Case Studies of Brake Shops Using Water (Spanish is side one and English on side 2).

If you would like copies of any of these reports, please let me know via e-mail or fax at (916) 327-4494.  If you have any questions about these repr please give me a call at 916-324-2659.

Robert Ludwig
CA DTSC/OPPTD
P.O. Box 806
Sacramento, CA 95812-0806
(916) 324-2659 Fax (916) 327-4494
E-mail:  rludwig@dtsc.ca.gov

>>> "Francke, Dale H." <frncked@pwfl.com> 05/18/00 09:13AM >>>
Last fall we bought a parts washer from System One Technologies which has
the bioremediation type function.  This parts cleaner has been used in our
fleet management garage (site of ~4,500 people spread over 7,000 acres).  It
has been very well accepted and is doing a very good job.  We have generated
no waste to date from this except some samples taken to characterize the
solution.  Here is the info on System One that I have:

	SystemOne Technologies
	8305 N.W. 27th St.
	Miami, FL  33122
	800.711.1414

They have a good web site with much information.  They also have a trial
program where they will provide a test unit for evaluation.  We had ours for
2-3 months before we purchased.

Hope this helps.