RE: RE: bioremediating parts washers

Robert,

I agree totally that ALL cleaners (and other unknown waste) needs to be
analyzed for the presence of heavy metals and/or solvents which might cause
the material to be classified as hazardous waste.  One of the reasons we
went from a more standard aqueous cleaning setup to the bioremediated type
(SystemOne in our case) was because of heavy metal contamination in the
cleaner.  With the other unit we regularly had waste aqueous cleaner (4-6
times a year) and most of the time it analyzed as hazardous waste.  With the
SystemOne system we have run almost a year without a need to change the
aqueous cleaner.  Even though we suspect heavy metals will be present when
the need occurs (if it ever) to change the aqueous cleaner we have made an
improvement.  We also feel (hope?) that the heavy metals are concentrated in
whatever sludge there is and is not in solution.  This will reduce the waste
amount even more.  I'll try to let everyone know what the results are when
the first waste analysis completed.

If we can somehow get the auto and parts manufacturers to take the lead,
cadmium, chromium, etc. out of their parts the presence of heavy metals in
the cleaners may be a thing of the past.  The aircraft and jet engine
industries are moving this direction with their products mostly due to
pressure from their customers.  Lead, cadmium and chromium are quickly
becoming extinct in these uses.

In addition, awareness of the makeup of aerosol cleaners and lubricants by
repair shop personnel would go a long way in eliminating the possibility of
hazardous solvents in aqueous cleaning units.  There are many good less and
non-hazardous cleaners available which are being successfully used for this
type of cleaning (aerosol and hand wiping) which, when the part is cleaned
in a parts washer, do not transfer hazardous constituents to the parts
washer.  A couple of companies I have experience with are Ecolink and W.R.
Grace.  Both of these companies, and I am sure numerous others, have
"environmentally friendly" products which very effectively replace products
with hazardous constituents.

Although we have made good progress we (waste generators) must still work
hard to get overall awareness to the workers and demand non-hazardous
products from our suppliers.  In the meantime we need to be sure what the
composition of our wastes are before we dispose/treat them.