core P2 technologies?

Dear P2 Techsters

I am working on a project for the Asian Development Bank to identify
possibilities for an Asian regional financing mechanism for Cleaner
Production/Pollution Prevention.  One of the key issues that is emerging is
the lack of certain kinds of industrial equipment in developing countries
that we in the West might consider fundamental for P2 progress in industry.
Developing country firms often cannot afford to import this equipment, even
if it is relatively cheap and has good payback potential, because of the
customs duties, delays, taxes and most importantly, the lack of local
technical support.

So I am interested in your help in developing a list of "core CP/P2
technologies" that development and industrial agencies should support in
order to make P2 progress more feasible.  Such technologies could be
promoted and financed through business incubators within various national
and local industrial organizations, including those of your own state and
county.

Core P2 technologies should have the following characteristics (this is a
draft list of factors):
? Can be produced without very large capital expenditures (eg no converting
pulp/paper plants to chlorine free bleaching, or wet cement to dry cement,
or other hideously expensive stuff)
? Use proven technologies with years of implementation experience, not
"leading edge" stuff  (this is NOT a "R&D needs" project
? Have demonstrated free-market feasibility ie. Positive payback in
materials productivity, NOT including savings in disposal costs (which are
minimal for developing country firms)
? Can be supported in the field by LOCAL technicians with basic competence,
i.e. you don't need to have PE's and Chem Es out there to fix them when they
break, AND the parts are also locally available at reasonable cost

Here is my preliminary list of technologies which seem practically
non-existent in developing countries, that meet the above criteria in US,
and which I think are critical to helping industry become more sustainable:

Greener chemicals, eg. low VOC solvents, citrus-based solvents, water-based
paints and coatings, better adhesives
Solvent distillation/recycling equipment
Water conservation devices eg low-volume showerheads and toilets, toilet
retrofit kits, aerators, low-volume/high-pressure rinsing devices
High-volume/low-pressure paint sprayers
Overspray recovery systems
Technologies for recovering resources from wastewater, eg. Reverse osmosis,
ultrafiltration, centrifuges, electrowinnowing for metals
Process controls, eg. "realtime" monitors of conductivity, pH, etc
Coolant and oil recovery
Low-E coatings for glass to reduce energy and air conditioning losses
Construction lumber made from wood waste or plastic waste

This is just my first cut at a list.  These should be technologies that you
have seen in use in small-to medium companies and you consider to be
reliable approaches.  What could you add to this list?

State P2 programs could use the list we develop to teach local economic
development agencies to recognize and encourage local production of P2
technologies. If you know of any other criteria for "core" P2 technologies,
I would love to have a citation.

Please respond to me at bhamner@cleanerproduction.com.  I will post a digest
of responses.  I will be making a final report to the Asian Development Bank
in July, and I will be pleased to include the names and contact info for any
helpful contributors who care to be cited.

Burton Hamner
Hamner & Associates LLC/ CleanerProduction.Com
5534 30th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA USA 98105
tel:  206-526-5308
fax: 208-279-4991