RE: Fluorides, POTW influent, & metal finishing

Mark, a couple of other areas were I have seen HF used are for etching Ti
parts and in the semiconductor industry.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of MARK STODDARD
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 4:15 PM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Fluorides, POTW influent, & metal finishing

Greetings,

   I am searching for information on materials that are used in industry
that contain fluoride.

   An Indiana POTW will have a fluoride limit (2 mg/L) imposed in its NPDES
permit.  The POTW is concerned that it will not meet the limit due to the
average concentration (~8 mg/L which is two times the MCL of 4 mg/L) of
fluoride in the POTW influent.  Downstream of the POTW discharge is an
intake for another city's drinking water.

   The POTW is aware of one industrial user that etches steel using
Fluoboric acid (Tetrafluoroboric acid).  The POTW would like that user to
explore other chemicals for use as an etchant whereas the industrial user
does not believe its use is contributing to the POTW's problem with
fluorides.

   As part of the Office of Pollution Prevention & Technical Assistance, I
would like to assess other possible sources (contributions from certain
industrial sources, etc.) of fluorides to the POTW influent.  Perhaps there
are industrial sources/uses that would commonly use materials that might
cause a fluoride discharge.  Once I can narrow down the types of fluoride
compounds used and the types of sources using them, I want to find fluoride
subsitutes that could be considered/tested or possible use.

   It would be great not only to help the POTW, but to help the POTW help
their industrial users.

   Thanks for your input in this matter.

Mark C. Stoddard
IDEM