From: Peter Kallin [mailto:p.kallin@omnienvironmental.com]
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 4:56 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Total Petroleum Hydrocarbon

Dear Fellow NPSers-
Does anyone have a feel (preferably with a reference) for what percentage of
total petroleum hydrocarbon in runoff from street/parking lot is
typically "free oil" floating on top of the water as opposed to
dissolved or sorbed to suspended solids?  I am looking at a site where I
anticipate the flow weighted concentrations to be on the order of 1-4
ppm and wondering how much I can retain in a bioretention system using a
3 inch baffle in the outflow structure to prevent the surface water
>(with floating oil) from flowing out under high flow conditions.  I have
seen studies by
manufacturers such as Stormceptor that claim 80-95% reduction of "free
oil" with this kind of separation but don't have a feel for how much of
the total load is really "free oil" floating on top. Any ideas?
TIA
Dr. Peter L. Kallin                            |
Omni Environmental Corporation                 |
Research Park                                  |
321 Wall St.                                   |
Princeton, N.J. 08540-8831                     |
(609) 924-8821 (Ext. 26)   Fax:(609) 924-8831  |
pkallin@omnienvironmental.com                  |
<http://www.omnienvironmental.com>             |