emissions from heat treatment of steel

To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
From: "Tuttle, Tim" <TTuttle@CMCSCR.ORG>
Subject: emissions from heat treatment of steel

We heat-treat steel parts by quenching the red-hot parts in a tank of oil.
This creates a lot of smoke, which we collect with a fiberglass filter.  The
state environmental department is reviewing our application for a Synthetic
Minor (Title V) permit.  We have been asked to provide emission data from
this operation, both before and after the filter.

I haven't had any luck finding anything we can use in AP-42.  Does anyone
have any suggestions of how we can estimate the emissions from this process,
short of stack testing?

Thanks for any help.

Tim Tuttle
Chief Engineer