Fwd: Re: Aluminum Grinding Dust

Primary aluminum is made using aluminum oxide as one of the feedstocks.
Aluminum dust is metallic aluminum.  This dust triggers thermite reactions
that can be a safety hazard.  Aluminum oxide is used for sand blasting and
is quite different than aluminum dust.  It would not be good to confuse the
two materials.  It might be helpful to see if an aluminum recycling firm
would take the dust.  The only concern will be the safety in handling the
material.  Since the Budwiser and Coors folks brag about recycling more
than 100% of the cans that they issue, they might have some leads for you.
You might want to check out their web pages.

Bob Pojasek

>From: "Richard Dooley" <rdooley@nahbrc.org>
>To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
>Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:59:28 -0400
>Subject: Re: Aluminum Grinding Dust
>CC: "Wildoner, Thomas J." <TWILDONE@tobyhanna.army.mil>
>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>
>Tom,
>
>One site you might want to look at is
>
>http://www.epa.gov/jtr/netshare/aloxide.htm
>
>which has a couple of messages related to aluminum oxide
>recycling.  You may also want to post the question on the Jobs
>Through Recycling (JTR) listserv.  That listserv is geared toward
>developing the recycling marketplace.  You can click on the
>"Netshare" link via the link I provided above.

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek
Pojasek & Associates
P.O. Box 1333