Re: TURPA:emissions from heat treatment of steel

:
Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net

A suggestion:

Check records to determine oil replenishment consumption and weight of steel
treated in same time period.  Then, for several batches--the number will
dependupon circumstances found as you go along--weigh the filter before and
after known weights or counts of steel were quenched.  You'll then be in a
position to make certain inferences by doing proportions.

At 01:26 PM 6/28/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi TURPA,
>
>This is a question posted from another list.  I thought it might be os
>interest, and perhaps somepone can help the writer.
>
>Janet Clark
>
>To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
>From: "Tuttle, Tim" <TTuttle@CMCSCR.ORG>
>Subject: emissions from heat treatment of steel
>

>We heat-treat steel parts by quenching the red-hot parts in a tank of oil.
>This creates a lot of smoke, which we collect with a fiberglass filter.  The
>state environmental department is reviewing our application for a Synthetic
>Minor (Title V) permit.  We have been asked to provide emission data from
>this operation, both before and after the filter.
>
>I haven't had any luck finding anything we can use in AP-42.  Does anyone
>have any suggestions of how we can estimate the emissions from this process,
>short of stack testing?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Tim Tuttle
>Chief Engineer