FW: Cafeteria Waste Reduction

-----Original Message-----
From: Clark.Russell@epamail.epa.gov
[mailto:Clark.Russell@epamail.epa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 1:34 PM
To: Region 6 Pollution Prevention
Cc: tvinson@tnrcc.state.tx.us
Subject: Re: Cafeteria Waste Reduction

Dick:

Your opportunities will depend on the type of waste and the source of the
waste,
but:

>>>If the cafeteria doesn't serve food on/with washable plates, utensils,
cups,
trays etc. and uses some form of disposable plastic or paper products,
converting to bio-based, starch-based cafeteriaware can allow you to compost
nearly all of your non-recyclable waste stream if a composting facility
exists
or could be set up.  The Department of Interior Headquarters building here
in DC
has been conducting a pilot on exactly this for over one year and it
included
compostability studies on the food, napkin, and starchware product waste mix
at
a near-by USDA laboratory.  Recycling collection points are also set up
there
for beverage container recycling.  Non-compostable product contamination is
one
of the largest reasons why composting isn't viable in a situation where
non-compostable components of the waste stream would be considered
contamination
in a source separated program (currently almost all, if not all, cafeteria
situations).

>>>If the food waste is derived from packaging or other materials brought
from
home by employees and consumed in the cafeteria, there are many
bring-your-own
food tips which could be posted on the wall to educate people about their
waste
reduction, and often money-saving, opportunities.

Let me know if you would like to follow up more with DOI or if you would
like
the bring-from-home tips from my head.
If you would prefer to call me, (202) 260-4418.

Russ

raulg@utep.edu on 08/03/2000 06:44:47 AM

Please respond to p2r6@p2.utep.edu