From: twyhlidko@eurekawebs.com [mailto:twyhlidko@eurekawebs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 2:26 PM
To: 'CWEA Ind&Haz Waste Committee'; P2 - Western Regional P2 Network
(E-mail); P2Tech Listserv (E-mail)
Subject: glutaraldehyde

Hello everyone. I apologize for cross postings.

One of my local hospitals is considering using an aqueous solution of
glutaraldehyde as a cooling tower biocide.

They intend to discharge the cooling tower "blow-down" (water mixed with the
glutaraldehyde) directly into the sanitary sewer system at a volume of
approximately 360 gallons per day (1/4 gallon per minute on average) with a
glutaraldehyde concentration of approx. 150 ppm in the effluent.

Do any other agencies allow discharge of glutaraldehyde into the sewer
system?
Is glutaraldehyde a problem in the sanitary sewer system?
Is there a less toxic alternative?

I have searched the web for "glutaraldehyde" and for "cooling tower" and got
a lot of interesting information, but nothing about discharges to sewer
systems.

As always, any information you can share would be helpful.  Thank
you! -Tracy Wyhlidko

Message sent by: Tracy Wyhlidko, Pretreatment Coordinator, City of Eureka,
4301 Hilfiker Lane, Eureka, CA  95503  Tel: (707) 441-4362, Fax: (707)
441-4366 mailto:twyhlidko@eurekawebs.com