RE: Vegetable Oil Recycling

P2techies:

Additional information on the biodiesel (vegetable oil recycling)
demonstration project in Greater Cincinnati:

I spoke with Sally Hilvers of Queen City Metro (bus line) this morning.  Ms.
Hilvers reporte that about two more weeks remain in the demonstration.  She
said that the buses are running well with the alternative fuel, with good
mileage and performance (including power, which is important on Cincinnati's
hills!).  One small snag, which actually may be a cloud with a silver
lining, is that biodiesel fuel evidently cleans engines so well that Metro
has had a few instances of clogged fuel filters.  Once the filters are
changed the engines are fine.  I also spoke with Rick Geise, who suggests a
filter change after the first two tanks of the fuel to avoid clogging.  I
assume that biodiesel use in a new vehicle would avoid the problem
altogether because you would start with a 'clean' engine.  Mr. Geise says
the fuel cost is competitive and getting better.  Some of you may recall
that Queen City Metro also participated in a soy diesel demonstration
project in 1993-94.  The cost of soy diesel then was about $4.00/gallon.
Now it's about $2.50/gallon.  Metro can currently purchase regular diesel at
about $.52/gallon, and the biodiesel is about $1.49/gallon.  Mr. Geise says
that biodiesel production hasn't yet experienced economies of scale, so the
price may actually line up with regular diesel in the near future.  Ms.
Hilvers said that test results for efficiency improvements and emissions
reductions will be available after the project's completion in a few weeks.

This is a fascinating project.  I hope the this information is helpful!
Bruce

J. Bruce Suits
Pollution Prevention Manager
City of Cincinnati