Re: Vegetable Oil Recycling

I see I was wrong, they were here in '97.  From their journey's
log,http://www.veggievan.org/1997.html -

Nebraska City, NE
August 6, 1997

Nebraska is definitely turned on to renewable energy. People here have a general
 understanding that
what's growing in their fields is more than just food; it's mother nature's
energy stockpiles in their
rawest form. It's unbelievable how much of this state is corn and soybean
fields. Flat, solid land and
warm friendly people give Nebraska a sense of timelessness. We stopped to buy a
few groceries
and ask for directions at a local supermarket. We had walked almost two blocks
before an
out-of-breath young sales clerk caught us and apologized for telling us to take
a right on Central, he
had meant to say to take a left. Indeed, people are friendly and good hearted
here. We visited the
Arbor Day Farms Lied Conference Center which is a remarkable hotel. Aside from
the stunning
architecture inside and out, this center is carpeted with recycled soda pop
jugs! It's unbelievable, but the carpet looks and feels
normal. The hotel has recycling bins in every room and has
environmentally-centered famous quotes painted around the main
foyer. The entire facility is cooled
and heated by a biomass generator which churns away in the basement using
agricultural waste as
fuel. And the personal highlight about the Conference Center--their vans run on
blended biodiesel
fuel! In fact, one of their vans has been running on the mixture for 4 years!
This place is hands-down, the best eco-hotel we've
visited yet.

Lincoln, NE
August 7, 1997

Today signifies four special events. The first is Joshua's 22nd birthday. The
second is that the Veggie Van has now crossed the
6,000 mile, half-way point of the tour. The third, and most tangible event
was the meeting of the Veggie Van and the Lincoln Bean Bus. The Veggie Van came
to life around
the same time that its owners (Joshua and Kaia) saw pictures of the "Bean Bus"
for the first time.
The Bean Bus was a regular Diesel transport bus which ran around Lincoln. What
makes the bus
different now is that it runs on 25% Soybean Biodiesel and has a huge
cartoon-like depiction of
soybeans all the way around it. Needless to say, the reporters were not terribly
 interested in pictures
of the Veggie Van and Bean Bus together but we had a great time taking pictures
of the two of them
looking oddly friendly in the bus depot parking lot. Another tribute to
Nebraska's clean ideals are the 4 other buses run by the
public depot with burn 95% ethanol fuel. Although their Diesel engines were
modified, these buses have very low emissions and
reportedly good pickup. Oh, the fourth special
event we just heard about and we are amazed. Veggievan.org was featured in
Yahoo's weekly pics.
Thanks to all of you dedicated Veggie Van supporters for checking in and
following the greasy trail
across America!

regards,

ry