Fwd: Need Referral - Outstanding P2 @ Electronics Manufacturer

I make it a rule to NEVER benchmark against a competitor.  They will only
tell you what THEY want you to know.  Instead, try to find a non-competitor
that has many of the same general processes.  Since you seem to be focusing
on solid wastes, another assembly operation with lots of suppliers might do
the trick for you.  You might even want to look at the Dodge NEON assembly
plant in the Cary region of Illinois or someone else with lots of
suppliers.  Another tactic that I found works well is for procurement to
REQUIRE that all suppliers have an employee work a full week on the
receiving end of their product coming in.  Many of my clients do this for
all their top tier companies.  After a week of unpacking their goods, they
will go back to their firms with a "charge" to reduce packaging wastes.  It
is amazing how many companies have never opened their own packaging.  A
final suggestion is for the company (or you) to hose a focus group session
on the waste stream they are targeting and get some interactive feedback
from both suppliers and other assembly companies on how to deal better with
the demand side, waste side, and recycling (as a last resort - the payback
is very poor).  Hope that helps.

Bob Pojasek

>Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:17:07 -0500
>To: P2Tech@great-lakes.net
>From: Deb Jacobson <djacobso@wmrc.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Need Referral - Outstanding P2 @ Electronics Manufacturer
>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>
>Good morning all!
>
>I have been contacted by one of the largest electronics manufacturing
>companies in the U.S. (head quartered in the Chicago area) for assistance
>with improving their P2 program.  They have requested that I help them find
>a similar type of company (preferably electronics manufacturer) that has
>been highly successful at reducing solid waste at their facility.  I have
>contacted an ISO certification agency to get a referral from them.  While I
>am waiting for their reply I would appreciate any suggestions and referrals
>any of you may have.  This company would like to visit the facility that I
>identify as a good example to benchmark themselves for improvement.  They
>are willing to travel anywhere in the continental U.S. (no Hawaii).
>
>A little background - the company feels they have done pretty well so far,
>but they want to do better.  They consider themselves good collectors,
>separators and recyclers.  They feel their opportunities for easy
>reductions are gone.  Currently they are working on returnable packaging
>issues for all 517 suppliers to their site.   Their goal is to further
>reduce  - not just separate and recycle.
>
>Most of their waste comes from packaging, remodeling/construction debris
>and food waste from the cafeteria.  They want to benchmark a company that
>excels in one or all areas.  They currently have student interns working on
>the packaging and cafeteria waste reduction efforts.
>
>Your referrals are appreciated!

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek
Pojasek & Associates