isopropyl alcohol reuse

Dear P2Tech,

I haven't had the chance to look into this, so I"m hoping the Listserv has some ideas for this company.

As I understand it (and details are limited), they are using high purity isopropyl alcohol in their final cleaning stage resulting in approximately 1000 gallons per month of used alcohol, only slightly contaminated with mineral spirits, and metal and diamond fines (and probably other typical contaminates).  The company is not interested in cleaning alternatives, but is interested in potential end users for the alcohol (other than energy recovery) or well documented, cost effective on-site recycling equipment.

I understand printers use isopropyl alcohol but are encouraged not to.  Any other possible end users?  Are there any ideas to be taken from the semiconductor, optics, or high precision electronics manufacturing sectors?

Sincerely,

David Herb
Technical Assistance Engineer
Pollution Prevention Section
MDEQ - Environmental Assistance Division
2nd Floor Town Center, 333 S. Capitol
P.O. Box 30457
Lansing, MI 48909-7957

Phone: 517-241-8176
Fax: 517-373-3675
Email: herbdw@state.mi.us

Environmental Assistance Center 1-800-662-9278
Visit the MDEQ-EAD Website at: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/