From: David Herb [mailto:HERBDW@state.mi.us]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 12:56 PM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: isopropyl alcohol reuse

Dear P2Tech,

I haven't had the chance to look into this, so I"m hoping the Listserv has
some ideas for this company.

As I understand it (and details are limited), they are using high purity
isopropyl alcohol in their final cleaning stage resulting in approximately
1000 gallons per month of used alcohol, only slightly contaminated with
mineral spirits, and metal and diamond fines (and probably other typical
contaminates).  The company is not interested in cleaning alternatives, but
is interested in potential end users for the alcohol (other than energy
recovery) or well documented, cost effective on-site recycling equipment.

I understand printers use isopropyl alcohol but are encouraged not to.  Any
other possible end users?  Are there any ideas to be taken from the
semiconductor, optics, or high precision electronics manufacturing sectors?

Sincerely,

David Herb
Technical Assistance Engineer
Pollution Prevention Section
MDEQ - Environmental Assistance Division
2nd Floor Town Center, 333 S. Capitol
P.O. Box 30457
Lansing, MI 48909-7957

Phone: 517-241-8176
Fax: 517-373-3675
Email: herbdw@state.mi.us

Environmental Assistance Center 1-800-662-9278
Visit the MDEQ-EAD Website at: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/