Re: small business and paint stripping

Dear Mr. Girum Tsega,

I appreciate your concern and can relate to your worries as I happen to be from
another third world country i.e India. The crux of the problem of "local-global"
contradictions mostly rest upon the success achieved in evolving a pattern for
sustainable development. If our daily concerns revolve around keeping the daily
fires burning, fighting poverty, feeding the hungry and supporting frail
economies, how do you think we are going to see the global image of a
sustainable planet?

Insurance is relevant only when there are market forces requiring certain
quantifiable risks to be covered. If the market forces themselves are
non-existent or defective, there is going to be no risk coverage. As proof, we
need go no further than assess the monetary value of the life of a human being
in different continents of the world. Are they by any means same in dollar
terms!

Like you, I could name several chemicals banned in the EU or in the US still in
use in third-world countries. Chemicals that could be endocrine disrupters,
carcinogens or those with significant GWP or ODP.  Unless our development
patterns become sustainable, we cannot climb to the level of appreciating
concerns on a planet level. I see positive changes happening everywhere and am
sure that sooner or later, we shall hit the solution.

Regards,

Surojit Bose

Janet Clark <clarkjan@turi.org> on 10/10/2000 11:27:02 PM

Please respond to Janet Clark <clarkjan@turi.org>