From: Butner, Robert S [mailto:butner@BATTELLE.ORG]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 4:27 PM
To: 'Malkin Weber, Melissa'
Subject: RE: Evaluation tool for EMS

Thanks, Melissa -- I'll look forward to reviewing this.

I have to ask, though -- on what basis do you make the assessment of which
"components are known to promote environmental improvement?"  Everything
I've ever
found in the research indicates that creation of an EMS has no demonstrable
cause-effect
relationship to a firm's environmental performance; hence it would seem that
identifying
individual components of an EMS as having these attributes would be
problematic.

Perhaps better wording is "components which place an emphasis on
environmental improvement?"

Or am I missing something new in terms of studies of the impact of
implementing an EMS?

Hope all is well down there in either event!
NOTE:  My Address/Phone/Fax has CHANGED!  (effective 7/10/00)
Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
MS K8-03
PO Box 999, Richland, WA  99352