Recycling of Electronic Equipment

P2Techers,

I have a client who is an electronics repair center. He has a large
dumpster behind his facility into which he discards all electronic
components he can't repair and the bad parts from those he can repair. He
showed me a transformer that was copper wire wound around an iron core
which he was going to discard. It weighed about 5 pounds. Several times per
year the dumpster is taken to the local landfill and dumped. He and I both
agree that this is a poor use of the earth's resources. He says the
economics of recycling them is not there. Does anyone know any different?
Can you recommend resources to facilitate the recycling of these old TVs,
stereos, VCRs, computers and the like?

Appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

Warren

wjw5@psu.edu