EMS and Causal relationships

Dear P2 techers,

I  cannot hold back any longer.....

What an interesting discussion!  In New Mexico, we use a Baldrige model (the
Green Zia Program) for establishment of an EMS because it provides us with a
strong model for a performance based program.  In a Baldrige model, we query
companies on their approach (how they do things, like "How does your
organization assess skill levels and provide education and training to
employees to enable them to actively participate in the continuous
envrionemtnal improvement approach?" (one of 18 item level types of questions
that define an ems).  The organization would how they assess employee skills
levels (their approach, process, system).  The second measure would be the
deployment of this system...so they would describe the extent to which this
assessment is applied throughout the organization.  Then they have to tie
results back to that...measures of assessment (how many employees received
training, etc), impacts of the increased skill levels on environmental
issues, number of employee work orders that have env. improvements in them,
etc.  We ask that these applicants show results by documenting current levels
in trends to show how they are improving over time.  We also ask them to show
their performance goal with the graph or chart so they can demonstrate how
well they are performing against their goals (ties to strategic planning).
In a Baldrige-type system you look at approach-deployment and results to
detect and measure that causal relationship.  In a continuous improvement
program, you have to have causal relationships to understand if your system
is really working.  As they say, you cannot improve what you did, but you can
improve HOW you did it...to get a different or better result...the result
will tell you if you improved.

This is not typically the way we look at things but it works well.  We
provided recognitions to 30 companies this year ranging from a three person
dry cleaner to Intel and Los Alamos.  Cost savings (conservative) were around
$30 million.

ISO 14001 certified companies could attribute at most about 200 points (out
of a possible 1000, 600 would be a great score) of their overall score in the
Green Zia Program to their ISO programs....anything above that was due to
programs beyond ISO.  I am not knocking ISO...I see it as a good organizing
tool for companies that can afford it.  But they can really improve their ISO
programs and move them towards more perfromance based programs by also
applying Baldrige-type criteria (Green Zia is the environmental equivalent to
Baldrige) to their environmental programs....it will capture all the elements
in the ISO program and much more.  The areas outside of ISO that are captured
in the Baldrige model are those very important aspects that lead to true
integration of environmental improvement into core business practices.  The
two (ISO and Baldrige) can work well together or a company can use Baldrige
to establish an ems without ISO...it is a very thorough performance
evaluation program.  Our companies are doing well with this in New Mexico.
Only four of the 30 companies in our program are ISO certified (or will be
within one year).

We are holding a two day training on this approach in October and November in
Albuquerque for $50.  You are welcome to attend!  Please call Michelle
Thompson of the Green Zia Program to register.

Thanks!

Pat Gallagher