Re: CO2 blast-cleaning

Chuck Darvin at EPA-ORD has been doing research on cleaning with CO2.  Following
is a note from Chuck on this subject:

"We have been conducting research on various uses of CO2 for industrial cleaning
including CO2 blast cleaning.  The CO2 used in blast cleaning can take either of
two forms: CO2 ice (dry ice), or CO2 snow.  Regardless of the type of CO2  there
is considered no net increase in CO2 to the atmosphere since the CO2 is a
byproduct derived from industrial manufacturing sources.  These include
petroleum sources which emit CO2 as byproduct off gas.  CO2 is generally not
produced as a sole product."

Chuck

darvin.charles@epa.gov

|--------+-------------------------->
|        |          DWilson@co.jeffe|
|        |          rson.ky.us      |
|        |                          |
|        |          10/11/2000 04:59|
|        |          PM              |
|        |          Please respond  |
|        |          to DWilson      |
|        |                          |
|--------+-------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                 |
  |       To:     p2tech@great-lakes.net,           |
  |       cc:                                       |
  |       Subject:     CO2 blast-cleaning           |
  >-------------------------------------------------|

     Does anyone have information regarding the effects of this technique
on air pollution?

     The following was an environmental tip sent by Environmental
Protection Magazine via e-mail.

     Our Environmental Tip of the Week is courtesy of Steven J. Cooke,
     MChE, FAIC, of Process Systems Consulting Inc. "For industries using

     solvent cleaning to remove build-ups of oils, grease, paint or
     resins from work areas or process equipment and molds: Save time,
     money and disposal costs by using carbon dioxide blast-cleaning
     where possible. It is more effective, efficient and environmentally
     clean than other cleaning methods."

Have a wonderful day!
Daphne C. Wilson
Pollution Prevention Coordinator