From: Annis, Jack [mailto:Jack.Annis@uwsp.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 9:03 AM
To: P2tech@great-lakes. net (E-mail)
Subject: Meat Packing/Slaughterhouse P2

Hi
I'm wondering if anyone has any case study information on methods to collect
blood and solids from a slaughterhouse.

The facility I am working with already collects about 95% of all the blood,
fat and materials for rendering. It also has a properly functioning grease
trap prior to the sewer discharge which is serviced on a regular schedule.

However there is still sufficient blood being discharged in the daily wash
down to cause BOD problems for the local wastewater facility in a town of
about 1,000 people. No other significant discharges in town which could be
causing the BOD problem at the wwtp.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Jack
UW-Stevens Point
Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
College of Natural Resources
1900 Franklin Street
Stevens Point WI 54481
Email  jannis@uwsp.edu