Chrome Platers / Asphalt Plants

Under an EPA grant, Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment is attempting to measure the resources expended versus compliance gains and environmental improvements of traditional enforcement, various levels of compliance assistance, and P2. We hope to eventually learn from this the optimum ways to work with various industry sectors; the best mix of enforcement, compliance assistance, and P2 to get high compliance rates and good environmental performance with a minimum of agency resources expended.

Two areas where we are focusing and could use P2 help are:

1) Chrome Electroplaters
     - I am reasonably familiar with current Metal Finishing P2. Are there                            any P2 ideas specific to chrome platers?

2) Asphalt Plants - I have the Fraser River material, the 2000 EPA-OAQPS draft report, and have been through the various archives. Any other ideas?

A third question for any Air Techies - Denver is in the curious position of meeting ozone standards but not carbon monoxide standards. As such, under the 1990 Clean Air Act, Denver is required to have a Clean Fuel Fleet program, where fleets of 10 or more vehicles have to buy certain percentages of Clean Fuel vehicles or their equivalent. This is not a problem for light duty vehicles but has a cost penalty of several thousand dollars per heavy duty vehicle (large trucks).

Even thought the Clean Fuel Fleet Program has a relatively small carbon monoxide benefit, it is apparently valed for its ozone/toxics benefits. So we are looking for ideas, both on the voluntary/incentive side and the mandate/enforceable side, that could provide a similar benefit to the Clean Fuel Fleet Program.

As always, thanks for your responses,

Kirk Mills
Pollution Prevention Program
Colorado Department of Public Health