From: "KIRK M Mills" <KMMILLS@SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US>
To: <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 11:12 AM
Subject: Chrome Platers / Asphalt Plants

> Under an EPA grant, Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment is
attempting to measure the resources expended versus compliance gains and
environmental improvements of traditional enforcement, various levels of
compliance assistance, and P2. We hope to eventually learn from this the
optimum ways to work with various industry sectors; the best mix of
enforcement, compliance assistance, and P2 to get high compliance rates and
good environmental performance with a minimum of agency resources expended.

> Two areas where we are focusing and could use P2 help are:
>
> 1) Chrome Electroplaters
>      - I am reasonably familiar with current Metal Finishing P2. Are there
any P2 ideas specific to chrome platers?

> 2) Asphalt Plants - I have the Fraser River material, the 2000 EPA-OAQPS
draft report, and have been through the various archives. Any other ideas?

> A third question for any Air Techies - Denver is in the curious position
of meeting ozone standards but not carbon monoxide standards. As such, under
the 1990 Clean Air Act, Denver is required to have a Clean Fuel Fleet
program, where fleets of 10 or more vehicles have to buy certain percentages
of Clean Fuel vehicles or their equivalent. This is not a problem for light
duty vehicles but has a cost penalty of several thousand dollars per heavy
duty vehicle (large trucks).

> Even thought the Clean Fuel Fleet Program has a relatively small carbon
monoxide benefit, it is apparently valed for its ozone/toxics benefits. So
we are looking for ideas, both on the voluntary/incentive side and the
mandate/enforceable side, that could provide a similar benefit to the Clean
Fuel Fleet Program.