Fwd: Re: How much $ do firms borrow for P2?

I have found that even resistant companies that use the Systems Approach to
P2 will make "quick wins" changes because they are inexpensive and easy to
implement.  By slowly making changes and measuring their impact on the
organization and the ideals that you expressed below, they are more ready
to make the technology change.  Resistance to change is not overcome by
forcing technological "right answers" on companies of any size.  They have
to make the change internally and in their own way consistent with their
culture.  Sometimes I wonder if "right answers" and sure-fire technological
fixes are liked by anyone other than outside "experts" and vendors.  As a
micro business owner, I always have organizations wanting to make me a
loan. Maybe we should do what the banks do all the time - they mail to you
house a check that you can right to get a loan (at some outrageous interest
rate).  We could send these to companies in need of P2 and see how many of
them respond.  Most of us have learned how to live within our means while
getting most of the things that we desire.  Perhaps companies are similar
to us in this way.  And I wonder why I should subsidize loans for P2 with
my taxes when there are many more pressing social needs that are not being
addressed.  Companies that do not seek to improve themselves will not
survive long in today's competitive environment.  We should give instead
"student" loans so that Burt can teach these companies how to improve
themselves using quality-driven pollution prevention techniques.  I would
vote for that tomorrow!

Bob Pojasek

>In addition to the previous offerings,  I'm aware of a another subset of
>medium/small companies who are not likely to take on P2 debt.  As part of
EPA's
>metal finishing Common Sense Initiative project, a very proactive innovative
>metal finishing company owner participating in the project spent his own time
>traveling to several cities for two years trying to drum up interest by metal
>finishers to implement more P2 technology.  He came back surprised and
>disappointed at the amount of inertia there was in small companies around
doing
>things the old way.   There are possibly many small company owners that
are okay
>with making payroll, making a good living, and meeting basic compliance
>requirements to stay in business.  For them, growing the company = getting
more
>customers + getting bigger contracts--i.e., expanding without necessarily
>changing the way they produce things--expansion without innovation may be
okay
>with them.   I don't know how many companies like this are out there, but
the #
>would probably surprise us.

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek