yet another "greening business" manual!!

A small enviro group I know has just proudly announced its new "How to Be a
Green Business" manual, produced by enthusiastic young people after spending
lots of time and money.  It is hardly any different from a dozen other such
guides I have seen.  Well I am going to get cranky here and pose a challenge
to the pollution prevention community.  There are now hundreds if not
thousands of guides already available for free via the net on how to green
up a business and do P2.  The same with fact sheets.  I realize that it is
impossible to get the word out to every single well-meaning group that IT
HAS BEEN DONE ALREADY FOLKS, but the waste of time and resources that is
being spent to produce pale imitations of great products already available
for free is really rather appalling.

I think the P2 community could do everyone a great public service and hold a
contest to nominate the Best in Class for publications on Small Business P2,
EMS, Cost Analysis, Life Cycle Analysis, How to Use the Internet, etc.  It's
Benchmarking Time for P2 publications, I think.  The benefits of such a
project are multiple, from getting lots of free PR by holding prominent
awards, to learning among ourselves what a great publication really looks
like, to helping others avoid reinventing the wheel and then making it oval.

It would be easy to make a website where people could post e-copies of their
fav publications then have votes on them, commentary, debate about
evaluation criteria, etc.  Sort of an amazon.com for P2.

Maybe someone is already doing this?  I hope so.  It was really painful to
see these nice people here get all pumped about their new publication, and
then to find it a pale imitation of several much better pubs I keep on my
hard disk.  And of course, they had never heard of said pubs...  Anybody
interested in a national P2 publication benchmarking project?

Burton Hamner
Hamner and Assocaties LLC
5534 30th Avenue NE
Seattle WA 98105  USA