Campus pollution prevention

Hi Ric.  Being an academic brat myself, I am glad to hear of your project to
promote pollution prevention in colleges and universities.  I don't think
colleges are hard to work with, you just need to use the right approaches.
I got the Asian Institute of Management on board, and eventually helped lead
them to their recent ISO 14001 certification, by having running a credit
class on Opns Mgmt for Environmental Efficiency.  I had 18 students in small
groups do eco-efficiency audits of campus energy, water, chemical use,paper
use, solid waste and building design.  They had a great time, got the
facility staff interested (which is critical vital essential), and presented
their group class reports to the Prez, Deans and facility mgrs. I made
quantitative analysis of options a major part of each group's grade, and
they delivered.  The Prez' reaction to the 100+ suggestions was to turn to
the facility mgrs and say, "is there some reason why we can't do these
things?  they seem quite useful and the numbers work for me."  The facility
guys, sitting there facing the Prez, of course said yes they would have a
serious meeting about it, and the Prez said, "good, I want your detailed
action report on these recommendation in a month."  The facility guys went
yeeeesssir and my students and I grinned a lot.  The facility mgrs organized
clean teams in various areas.  They really emphazised to janitors etc how a
green campus was going to make their daily jobs less toxic and more
pleasant, so the janitors really got on board, and have been known to leave
notes to sloppy professors telling them to sort their garbage better.  I
believe the facility staff also gave awards to the professors and depts that
were the most cooperative.  I don't know if they pointed out who was the
least cooperative, but I have NO DOUBT that the miscreants found out quite
quickly how low they ranked in the janitors eyes!  I just hope they did not
learn in too unsanitary a way.  Never piss off the janitor if you have to
come to work the next day.

College deans and presidents are politicians so you have to manipulate them
with the right tools.  You might try giving a little presentation about the
potential and benefits of campus greening at the president's next meeting
with
the college board of directors and the alumni association board.  I would
try contacting the alumni assn prez, and a few members of the board of
directors, on your own and talk them into bringing it up with the prez and
then asking you to do a little presentation.  Then the prez is on the spot
to his minders and will almost certainly be graceful and announce that he
will delegate it immediately and report back.  Then everyone will
congratulate the prez, who will wag his tail.  They are like poodles, you
have to give them treats to train them.

Tons of work has been done for you already - don't reinvent that wheel - by
the National Wildlife Federation, which produces the Campus Ecology Home
Page about how to green a campus. It has an extensive links section with
great descriptions, plus manuals, projects etc.  They have done a wonderful
job, check them out at

http://www.nwf.org/nwf/campus/

You need to get the campus leadership on board too.  University Leaders for
a Sustainable Future (ULSF) was established to promote and support academic
leadership for the advancement of global environmental literacy.  They have
a charter that the college prez can on to.  They offer a Sustainability
Assessment Questionnaire (SAQ) for Colleges and Universities that is a great
potential starting point for talking with academic mgmt.

http://www.center1.com/ulsf/

Dont forget that a green campus should teach green courses.  One of the
issues with Asian Inst of Mgmt's ISO 14001 certification was the enviro
aspects of its products, i.e. its courses.  AIM ended up with procedures tht
include specific P2-type training for all MBAs in the Opns Mgmt core
curriculum, some enviro cases in the general strategy and marketing cores,
and a Prez-sponsored student enviro club.  That is crucial to making the
whole effort coherent.

I recall that Tufts University used the same approach of greening its opns
first, they have a bunch of things like a Tufts Climate Initiative that
commits Tufts to goal of 7% reduction below 1990 carbon dioxide emissions by
2012 that has brought in $356,000 in foundation support and has identified
University energy cost savings.  Bob Pojasek was one of the leaders there, I
think, and of course Bob has a great P2 systems approach that colleges can
follow.  He can contact you directly about it if you buzz him at
rpojasek@sprynet.com

Colleges can be a ton of fun to work with, esp the students.  Some of the
faculty will get on board right away, and a bunch will remain crotchety
isolationists.  The janitors will deal with them eventually.

Burt