RE: SIPs and Green Building

Martha,

Some states are trying to use state implementation plans to stem the tide
of development.  I believe Baltimore and Atlanta were going down that road,
as was Sacramento.  Lawsuits are generally saying that highway projects do
not conform to the respective SIPs.  The goal of the lawsuits is to halt
development by shutting down highway projects.

As an aside, when talking about SIPs and green building, be aware that some
builders may give you a puzzled look as SIPs often mean Stuctural Insulated
Panels.

There are about ten local and formal residential green building programs in
the US; Austin was one of the first in the country, with it's program
beginning in 1990.  These programs are in addition to the local building
codes - they do not replace the building codes.  For instance, if a builder
wants to market that he/she is a "green builder," he/she would have to use
the local green building program's checklist and meet the green building
threshold.  Each local program has its own method of weighting checklist
items and qualifying homes.

The National Association of Home Builders Research Center has produced
numerous publications regarding green building - feel free to contact me if
you'd like more information.

Richard Dooley

Richard Dooley
Environmental Analyst