Re: Environmental benchmarking

Hi there.  You might want to take a look at the benchmarking page on my
web-site (http://www.processprofiles.com) -- I couldn't put the details up
because of confidentiality issues but a couple of years ago I did some
environmental benchmarking for a big chemicals manufacturing plant.  We
compared it to facilities making a similar (but not identical) slate of
compounds by assigning the TRI-reported releases to products in order to
obtain production adjusted values.  We also weighted the releases by potency
of effect for the different compounds, which turned out to be important
because although they were making some of the same products, the facilities
weren't all using the same technologies, and some of the technologies
required toxic catalysts whose releases have the potential to create a large
detrimental impact.

We saw big differences between manufacturers.  The goal of the project was
to gauge how much room for improvement existed and also to see how other
facilities were managing their waste streams.

I'd love to see the TRI used more often for this type of eye-opening
analysis.

-Kirsten

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles