Sharing the Savings from P2

Ed & Terry,

FYI - The shared savings approach related to service-for-product
substitutions mentioned by Terry, which is so common in the auto industry,
is now being disseminated/implemented in the electronics manufacturing
industry by the Chemical Strategies Partnership
(http://www.chemical.strategies.org).  CSP is a non-profit initiative
supported by Pew Charitable Trusts, Heinz, and others.

The goal of CSP is to reduce the use of toxic chemicals in US manufacturing
firms.  The mechanism is to encourage manufacturing firms to purchase
chemical management services from suppliers, rather than purchasing
chemicals directly.  The supplier contracts have direct "shared savings"
incentives to encourage the supplier to help find process efficiency
improvements at the customer's facility.  In addition, some contracts have a
specific additional inventive for reducing the actual use of toxic chemicals
at the customer's facility.

Environmental accounting is used to estimate the baseline materials use and
reduction goals, as well as to estimate baseline chemical management costs
and set equitable financial incentives for the contract.  Once the contract
is in place, the supplier continues with the data collection on an ongoing
basis, to measure and report performance to the customer.

See the Raytheon case study on the CSP website - Raytheon now has a 5 year
contract with Radian based on this model.  Radian handles ALL chemical/gas
management at Raytheon, from purchasing all the way to disposal.  Radian
also does all data collection and information management on chemicals and
gases at Raytheon.  The contract terms provide a fixed management fee, plus
process efficiency incentives, plus a special bonus for toxics use
reduction.

CSP has produced manual with guidance on all of this, which I believe is
available on the website.

If you want more details from someone who has worked with Raytheon and
others on the CSP model, feel free to contact my colleague, Tom Votta, for
more details.  tvotta@tellus.org

FYI - we are now expanding the CSP model with a couple of companies to cover
other solid materials and waste.  Tom can give you info on that also.

Happy Holidays!

Deborah E. Savage, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
Tellus Institute