Re: Christmas Cards - Alternative to Landfills...

Happy Holidays, everyone. We set up a program for the Department of Energy to
recycle their holiday cards, and I had a chance to tour the St. Jude's youth
ranch. Let me add a bit to Warren and Tracy's note. St. Judes is a home for
abused children outside Las Vegas. It is a marvelous refuge with a dedicated
staff. Sometimes the love they find at St. Judes is the first love these kids
have ever had. The love is mixed with firm but even handed rules--- and
sometimes that too is the first loving discipline these kids have ever seen.
They do wonderful work there.

The ranch recycles cards by cutting off the covers and gluing them to new
card stock. They then resell them in packets of 10, I believe, sorted by the
picture on the front (Christmas, kittens, bells, etc, or you can buy an
assortment). They accept and recycle cards for all occasions. I recommend
screening out the raunchy ones before you send them to the ranch!

They receive old greeting cards from all over the world--- thousands and
thousands of them. When I toured St. Jude's they had bags and bags of them in
a warehouse. They have a workshop just to recycle and package the cards.

When I was there the guide said an interesting thing. He said that many
people spend more in postage to get the cards to them than the ranch makes in
profit--- so he would almost prefer people send them a donation equivalent to
the postage. And naturally there are two sides to the recycling equation---
buying recycled is the key to making the economics work.

In our program at DOE, we made sure to distribute information about buying
St. Jude's cards. Buying recycled is the real key to helping the ranch, or to
making any recycling program work. If you collect cards from people in your
organization to send to St. Jude's, I would recommend you send out that
information too.

Happy Holidays, and thanks for an ongoing treasure trove of information.

Mark Boylan
General Manager
WASTREN, Inc.
22 Executive Park Court
Germantown  MD  20875
301/540-0022
(f) 301/540-0088
wastemin@aol.com

Subj:    Christmas Cards - Alternative to Landfills...